Thursday, October 27, 2016

Storytelling: A Boy Has No Father

Author's Note:

I wanted to write this story of a little boy who has an absent father to represent Hiawatha from, "The Song of Hiawatha", an epic poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow that was published in 1855. While I didn't want to recount the adventures of Hiawatha word for word, I did want to capture his spirit in my story of a little boy who lives with his grandmother because his Father doesn't want to care for him and his mother has passed away. 

"By the shores of Gitche Gumee,By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis,
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis.
Dark behind it rose the forest,
Rose the black and gloomy pine-trees,
Rose the firs with cones upon them;
Bright before it beat the water,
Beat the clear and sunny water,
Beat the shining Big-Sea-Water."

"Okay, little one, time to sleep. We can finish the rest of the story tomorrow." Naomi said to her grandson. 

"But, Granny, this story is my favorite. Can't we read just a little more?" Henry whined at his grandmother. 

"Hiawatha can wait, your sleep cannot, my little man." she smiled at him. 

Henry settle further down into the bed, "Do you think I am like Hiawatha?" 

"Full of adventure and hard to keep track of? Absolutely, my little Indian. Now sleep." Naomi said. 

Little Henry had lived with his grandmother for as long as he could remember. His mother had died of a broken heart when he was just a baby and his "father" has never had much use for the boy. So it was, Naomi took the child in and attempted to raise him as much joy and adventure she possibly could. At the age of ten now, Henry was so hard to keep track of around the town. Perhaps she had raised him with too much adventure? Is that possible for a little boy?

Henry woke ready to face the day. 
"GRANNY!" he screamed down the stairs, "I am going off to the pond." 

"Wait, wait, have you eaten?" Naomi called to him, "I'm making pancakes."

"I'll just shove them in my pocket! I have to go! The fish are waiting." Henry said as he stuffed his breakfast into his fishing backpack. 

Henry set off through the trees to get to his favorite fishing spot. Along the way he stopped to climb several trees. As he scurried up the branches, he often would stop and pretend to be shooting arrows at the ground below. He was hunting, just like Hiawatha. 

"Some day" Henry thought to himself, "I'm going to grow up and become a great man just like Hiawatha." He leapt from the tree and took off running. He was the fastest boy in town, all the boys were jealous because he could run faster, climb higher, and catch more fish than any of them. 

Henry had no fear and would often do things, like jump from the highest branches, that terrified his grandmother. He also had no fear when it came to his opinions and expressing them. 

It is because of this, that after he had been fishing and caught his dinner, he walked westward to town so that he could get an ice cream float from the diner. 

"I have the fastest son in the county." He over heard a man say, "He catches the most fish and can out climb any boy in town." 

"What's his name?" the diner owner asked, "Cause the only kid I know around here like that is Henry." 

"HENRY! That's his name. That's my boy." the strange man replied. 

Henry overheard this conversation and it greatly angered him. He knew his father had abandoned him and left him with his grandmother as a baby. Everyone around town talked about it and how sorry they felt for old Naomi. 

"Excuse me" Henry said to the man, "I don't know who you think you are, but my name is Henry and you have no right to be bragging about me." 

"Henry!" the man cried, "I'm you father, aren't you excited to see me?" 

"I have no father. I will thank you not to talk about me like you know me." Henry scowled at the man. 

Henry grabbed his ice cream float and took off to his home. 

By the time he arrived his grandmother had already heard of his encounter at the diner and she could not be more proud of him. 

"Hello, Henry, how many did you catch for dinner today?" she asked him.

"Ten, I thought we could have some with breakfast tomorrow too." He smiled at her. 

"I do hope you left some for everyone else!" She laughed. "Go wash up, it will be ready when you get back down stairs."

They sat down to dinner and Naomi listened to all his big adventures from the day. She worried so much about this little boy, but he clearly could manage to take care of himself. He really was something special. 

She smiled as she thought of his bright future. The beautiful wife he would have and they fun he would have raising a boy of his own. 

"Granny, can we read now?" Henry begged, "Can we please read Hiawatha?"

"Of course, little one" Naimo said, 

"And thus sailed my HiawathaDown the rushing Taquamenaw,
Sailed through all its bends and windings,
Sailed through all its deeps and shallows,
While his friend, the strong man, Kwasind,
Swam the deeps, the shallows waded."

Henry fell asleep that night and dreamed of becoming a brave, big man who had many adventures. He dreamed of sailing on the great rivers and hunting the bison. He dreamed of climbing the tallest mountain. He dreamed of being just like Hiawatha. 
 

6 comments:

  1. Luisa, this story is so endearing. I love Henry and I hate that his father is taking some credit for his son's talent. That reminds me of what some famous athletes say about long lost family members coming out of the woodwork when they are successful to try and take the credit. I think Henry has a bright future ahead of him and I am happy that you gave him a great support system and a role model. It was so well-written and I truly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this is such a good story! On the surface level, it's a sweet story about a boy and his grandmother. Deeper than that, the interaction between the boy and his "father" shows a more complex storyline there. There were a few points where I think your brain may have been thinking faster than your fingers could type, but overall, it was a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luisa, this story was incredibly enjoyable to read. I found myself rooting for little Henry the entire way through, especially when he stood up to his distant father. In a way this reminded me of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, I really enjoyed the plot line of this story and the way you wrote the dialogue. The only thing I would say is that the background image sometimes makes the writing hard to read, other than that great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure is hard to not like a kid like Henry. Despite having such a troubling parent situation, he manages to rise above it and still find so much enjoyment in life! It also speaks to his maturity that he was able to brush off his father so easily. I really like the details you put in the story as well, such as having Henry skip out on breakfast to go fishing and his grandmother telling him to wash up before dinner. It really reminded me of childhood.

    Anyway, well done, this was a pleasure to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There wasn't much conflict in this story. I thought Henry might have had it out with his dad when he met him but he stayed real calm and collected. It was a very cute story and I appreciate myths like the original one being translated into something cute and harmless. There was a lot of dialogue which gave the characters a lot of personality. I feel like Henry could be any kid I met in a 2nd grade classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story to read! Even though you let us know that Henry is just a kid, you depict him as someone who is extremely mature and proud. It is a great contrast between two character themes. The way he handled his deadbeat Dad was great! Your writing is really great and I look forward to reading your other stories throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete