Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Story: The Long Road Home

I had always been different but it had never bothered me. I saw things in a way no one else could see them. Once when I was four I decided to jump off my parent's roof and land on the trampoline. I broke my arm. It didn't hurt much and it didn't stop me from doing crazy things. "He just doesn't have a concept of fear", my Mom would say to people. I think it really bothered her that I was different.

Two weeks ago I decided I was going to move. I had been in the same place too long and craved an adventure. My family was not thrilled but since I was now twenty-three they really couldn't stop me. So, I booked my flight. I used the money I had saved up over the years doing odd technical jobs. I was different, but I was really skilled with computers and that made me quite a bit of money. Where was I going? Turkey. I wanted to go somewhere off the beaten path. Where maybe people would not notice that I was a strange.

I stepped off the plane in Turkey and immediately knew this was where I belonged. I felt the most overwhelming sense of being home. I gathered my luggage and made my way to a taxi so that I might be transported to a hotel where I would stay until I found a job and new place to live. It was in that moment I saw the most gorgeous girl I had ever seen. I went over to speak with her (one of the many benefits of feeling no fear, no hesitation in doing something completely stupid), "Hello, my name is Ryan and I would like to take you on a date tomorrow".

"Ryan, it is nice to meet you, but I must decline. You see my father is very strict and would not allow me to go on a date with a stranger." she replied.
"Perhaps if he got to know me?" Ryan countered.
"You may find him in Calliegh, at the chapel. There you may ask him."



So it was here that I began my journey. Calliegh was on the other side of the country and it would take a long while to arrive there as I had to drive. I went to rent a car and started on my way.

My travels across the country took me to many strange places. My car broke down on the side of the road and I encountered a man who claimed to be a wizard and attempted to help me. He wasn't much help, but at least he was funny.

I stopped at an old inn that was run by an old woman and her lovely daughter. They provided with great traveling snacks in exchange for doing a little handy work on their computers. They were in desperate need of an upgrade and I helped as best I could. The daughter was waiting anxiously for a man to come along and help make their lives better. I hoped it would happen for them.

At one point in my journey I rescued a crow from a terrible man who wanted to clip his wings. I showed up just in time to save him and gave the man a sound beating in the process.

Finally, after forty days of travel and delays I arrived in Calliegh. I searched for the chapel and upon finding entered and sat in the back row wondering what I should do now.

I was then approached by a man about fifty years of age with wise eyes, "My daughter told you were coming. I didn't believe her. But then, I do not have the 'sight' like my wife. She claimed you were only a little delayed but assured her she could still see you on your path to her."

"I am Ryan, and I have traveled very far to ask if I may take your daughter on a date. I do hope you will do me the honors of blessing me with her."

"Yes, yes, I believe you have earned it. My wife says your journey was long and hard with many bumps on the way. Yet you stayed true to heart and made your way to her. Go to her with my blessing."

I turned around and she was standing at the door. I walked to her, "I am Tirzah and I would be honored to go out with you. I cannot believe how far you have come just for me."

And so it was they began their relationship and after forty years together they are still so very happy.


Author's Note:

I wanted to write a comprehensive story that incorporated many different aspects of Turkish Fairy Tales from Ignacz Kunos. I chose the story of the boy searching for fear but being unable to find it because he was scared of nothing. I also used different character's from each story: the wizard, the crow, and the seer. I didn't use the specifics of each character but wanted them to have a showing. While forty days may seem like a long time to cross a country in a car, this was a significant number in all of the fairytales and I wanted to make sure I gave a nod to that fact. Also, every story ended with a "Happily Ever After", and a man getting a beautiful wife so I chose that as well. 

4 comments:

  1. Very sweet story! I would date that guy who travels a long distance just to ask for permission to go out with me. I love how you incorporate the elements of the original story in a complete new story. Although the purpose and the hardships were different from the original version, your modern version of the story is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story actually reminds me of a friend of mine. He is gifted with coding and computers as well. After graduation, he plans to travel the world including Indonesia and do nomad coding for companies while he becomes a master scuba diver. I wonder if he will find a girl to love on this journey. This was an interesting story that really showcased the man’s determination. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute story. I like how detailed you were with this story, it really helped to imagine it while reading. I like how you made the story into something so modern and relatable. I think you leaving he ending kind of open was a good move. You can always expand on their 40 years of life together. Overall, great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I wasn't quite sure why you were making such a point to say that Ryan was so strange but now I think that if he hadn't been a kind of weird guy he would've heard "you have to trek across the country to ask my father if I can go out with you" a bit ludicrous and left. That being said, I also haven't read the original story so maybe that was just a part of it. I love that it had a nice sweet ending and that the guy found a place where he weirdness was appreciated rather than made him an outcast. I would have liked if you had a little more description of the original in your note though.

    ReplyDelete