Monday, September 12, 2016

Reading Notes: Turkish Fairy Tales-Part A

There were a couple of things that stood out to me while reading the first half of Turkish Fairy Tales by Ignacz Kunos.


                                                                           No Fear

In the story about fear I couldn't help but be reminded of the autistic children. I hope no one takes offense to that statement because all I mean to say is, they seem to know no fear and have boundless creativity. My cousin has so many of these traits and it always fascinating to me. I think writing the story of a fearless boy on a journey would be a fun way to represent this story. 


For the other three stories I noticed the use of forty days as a significant amount of time for celebrations or waiting periods. 

The stories also seem to center around hard task and then being rewarded with a lovely wife. I feel again this would be a cute story of a man who had to accomplish many feats to gain the most beautiful wife in the land. 

I particularly liked how all the women were disguised. I know she was a witch, but it reminded me of "Beauty and the Beast" in the way the beautiful queen comes to the door and is turned away because she is disguised as ugly. These stories pinpoint in the benefits of being kind to creatures most would ignore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment