Monday, September 5, 2016

Reading Notes: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche-Part A

In the telling of Psyche and Cupid translated by Tony Kline, that theme that struck me the most was that of jealousy and marriage.

In the over view Laura makes a reference to "Beauty and the Beast" and "Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis. Both of which are very accurate. The entire time I was reading this first half I was struck by the similarities to both of these works. I have read "Till We Have Faces" several times and they are very similar.

I really like the fairytale aspects of this story. The sisters remind me of evil step sisters, and Venus reminds me of the evil queen from "Snow White". Which, since this story clearly was written long before these tales; it wouldn't be surprising to find it had some influence on the stories.

I intend to expound on the fairytale but I really like the theme of marriage, including the marriage dream the young, kidnapped girl has in the beginning of the story. It is a "tale as old as time", after all.
                                                          Psyche and Cupid as Lovers

The sisters being Furies is also something I picked up and would possibly use and develop further in a story of my own. I love the story of the Orestes, and could see taking some of the furies personality from there and placing into the sisters.

Bibliography:

Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche by Tony Kline; Link to Reading




No comments:

Post a Comment